FAQs - Pedalcover Online Cycle Insurance Provider


On this page are all the frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our business and products, such as cycling travel insurance.

How to read our FAQs

You can click the questions to expand them and see the answers.

Need a quote? Click here.

Q: Are there exclusions if my bike is not locked?

A: Theft, or attempted theft of any unattended pedal cycle is covered with no lock equipment, if kept in a locked building. Otherwise, it must be secured by a suitable locking device to a permanent structure or a motor vehicle.

Q: Can I switch my policy mid-term?

A: Yes. You do not need to wait for your current home or cycle insurance policy to renew. We can arrange a switch in one easy phone call on your behalf.

Q: Do I need to buy separate Cycle Insurance if I take out Pedalcover Bike & Home Insurance?

A: Not unless you take in road racing or professional competitions as this is excluded under our policy at this time. Under the Pedalcover policy, all your family’s cycles are covered under your home insurance anywhere in the world, provided you have chosen the Personal Possessions extension on the policy. This is a unique aspect of the Pedalcover policy and it will also cover you and your family for amateur triathlon competitions, cycle time trials and sportives.

Q: Does my policy cover me in competitions?

A: Our policy covers you for amateur use during triathlon competitions (all distances and including Ironman), cycle time trials and sportives. It does not at this time cover bunched road racing including road racing and criteriums.

Q: Do I need to insure my accessories separately?

A: No, your bikes and accessories are all covered under the personal possession section of the policy up to the sum that you request to be insured.

Q: How are claims settled?

A: The Pedalcover policy repairs or replaces lost or damaged items on a new for old basis up to ten years (except for clothing and household linen where a cash sum is paid with a deduction for wear and tear). The policy also includes public liability cover up to £2,000,000.

Q: Does the policy cover more than one cycle?

A: Yes, your policy covers all the family’s bikes who are residing at home. You do not need to specify cycles individually unless the value of one bike exceeds £10,000. Please speak to us to help you determine the level of cover you require for your needs.

Q: How do I cancel my policy?

A: In order to cancel your policy, please contact us. Your policy will not be cancelled until we have confirmed this to you.

Q: How do I amend my policy?

A: Please call us and we will be happy to make any changes on your behalf.

Q: How do I renew my policy?

A: We will send you a renewal invite prior to the expiry of the policy with the new terms & prices for the forthcoming year. You can then contact us by phone to discuss (make any changes) & renew.

Q: Is my policy new for old?

A: We will settle claims for loss or damage to items up to ten years old which are beyond economic repair on the basis of cost as new, so long as the contents have been maintained in good repair.

Q: How do you evaluate the damage to a cycle in the event of a claim – does someone come and inspect it or can I submit photos?

A: Depending upon the time of claim, photos should be sufficient, however, occasionally a loss adjustor will be appointed to validate the nature and extent of the loss.

Q: Is there an excess on the insurance policy?

A: Yes. The excess will be shown in your policy. It does not differ for pedal cycles. Pedalcover also offers excess protect insurance, an extra level of protection, which allows you to claim back the excess in the event of a claim. Please ask us about this cover when requesting a quote as this may reduce your premium.

Q: What happens if I change my mind?

A: If you decide that for any reason, our policy does not meet your insurance needs, then you have a legal right to cancel your policy or credit agreement for any reason, subject to no claims having occurred, within 14 days of receiving the full terms & conditions. You will always be advised where this Right applies. A charge will apply for the period of cover provided and, in addition, we make an administration charge as detailed above. If you cancel a credit agreement you will need to repay any sums provided in full and make alternative arrangements to pay your premium. If you wish to cancel a policy you must advise us in writing, prior to expiry of the 14-day cancellation period, to our usual office address.

Q: What evidence is required of proof of ownership?

A: It depends on the item being claimed, however we would normally request a receipt, valuation, packaging (iPhone, watch box) and/or photographs (jewellery/pedal cycles).

Q: What if I cause an accident do I have Public Liability?

A: Public liability is also known as third party liability and protects you against third party claims for injury or damage to property. For example, if you were to accidentally ride into someone or something and cause injury or damage, that person could claim compensation from you. Pedalcover provides you with Public Liability cover up to £2,000,000.

Q: What type of cycle lock do I need?

A: We don’t stipulate a make or specific brand as long as it is able to secure the bike.

Q: What type of pedal cycle do you cover?

A: We cover all bike types including road bikes, time trial/triathlon/lo pro bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids bikes, fixed wheel bikes, commuter bikes.

Q: Why do I need combined home and bike insurance?

A: Combining your home and bike insurance can have significant cost reductions over purchasing two separate home and cycle insurance policies. Pedalcover combines both under one easy policy.

Q: Will the policy cover me if I take my cycle abroad?

A: Yes, the policy covers your cycle, accessories and family’s possessions up to the sum insured under your policy. Unlike other bike policies who cover up to 30-45 days, we have no limit, although your house must not be unoccupied for more than 30 days during the year.